Tuesday 16 December 2014

Downsizing my wardrobe... every clothe lover's nightmare.

I found another box of my clothes I needed to fit into my wardrobe, so it was time to do some serious downsizing of my current collection. I'm not a minimalist by any means, even though I like the principle of 'less is more'. Most of the time more is just more, and I forget that when I see things I really want.

Based on my love of shows like Hoarders, I came up with the four piles of sorting.

Chuck.
Only my favourite pants circa 2007 got chucked. The hems were ripped and it has a massive pink stain on it from who knows what (BTW, these pants are black, go figure).

Donate.
Karma of thrifting says you should only send something to the op shop if it is sellable. A filled a bag with ironed and folded clothes which no longer fit me or I didn't really like. The clothes were also seasonable, because who can sell jumpers in summer? Very few people bother.

This is hard because I've always kept clothes to wear for when I lose weight. Of course, invariably I'll lose weight and buy new stuff so this defeats the purpose. I have donated one of my fave t-shirts, well, I used to love it but now, not so much.

Sell.
I've posted some of my clothes in Pin Up/Rockabilly/Retro buy and sell groups on FB and I have had two sales so far. But it's time for me to get on eBay and start listing things again. That's probably a job for tonight.

Keep.
Some of my clothes I haven't seen for months so it is nice for us to be together again. To be honest, I will probably do another wardrobe sort again in a a month's time. I have put all my clothes back into my wardrobe and have started turning around the coat hangers the wrong way once I have worn an item. Some of my clothes are really new as they were purchased at the end of season (two snuggly jumpers for example), so I'm not expecting to wear some of them for awhile.

This year I have bought a lot of dresses which is awesome because a dress = not having to match up pants and tops. You just wear a cardigan and tights and don't even have to think about it. The problem with dresses is that they often make a statement so you can't wear them within too many days of each other. It also means that clothes in your wardrobe aren't circulated as often as tops and bottoms are.


This week I have had the chance to wear some old favourites including my denim pedal pushers and my Hell Bunny dress, Now that my wardrobe is sorted (it's in sections of pants/shorts, dresses, skirts, jumpers, jackets, cardigans, t-shirts, uniforms, blouses) I'm really looking forward to getting out some old favourites again. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment